Healthcare leaders like you are striving to create and maintain:
- High Reliability
- Employee Engagement
- Patient Experience
- Financial Stability
Need to improve employee engagement? Grow your leaders
Struggling with retention? Grow your leaders
Want high patient satisfaction? Grow your leaders
Concerned about financial performance? Fix all of the above by…
you guessed it, growing your leaders
- Staff turnover (replacing one nurse costs an average of $44,000)
- Poor employee engagement
- Poor patient satisfaction scores
- Poor clinical quality indicators
The most successful organizations groom leaders to engage, inspire, and bring out the best in others.
I was that leader. A fully engaged, high-performing staff nurse one day and a manager the next. Just like that, with a title change and a shiny new name badge, I was not only managing a multi-million-dollar budget, but overseeing a team of people who needed real leadership. I was honestly over my head and afraid people would spot me as an imposter. I needed information, skills, and coaching. I know my VP wanted to help put she was far too busy to give me the time I needed. It was the sink or swim approach to leadership development. Fortunately, I was determined to succeed and willing to learn, but there were many days I thought about quitting.
I managed to gain the skills I needed through time, trial and error. But it would have gone much more quickly and smoother with a good coach and a set of reliable tools.
When I compare my journey to the common challenges facing healthcare leaders whom I have coached over the past 25 years, I spotted common deficiencies or gaps. This program was designed to fill those gaps through online learning paired with coaching and peer support.
Individual, private coaching sessions give each student the opportunity to discuss their leadership challenges with an experienced coach. The sessions often expand beyond the program topics, giving support where they need it most.
Hiring for fit. It all starts with making the right hire. This module focuses on:
- Identifying the ideal characteristics needed for the job and to fit with the team
- Crafting behavior-based interview questions that zero in on the most important characteristics
- Exploring the merits of peer interviews
- Determining the cost of a bad hire
Mastering the stay interview. There’s nothing worse than getting an unexpected resignation from one of your star performers. This module focuses on:
- The importance of understanding your employees’ unique needs
- How to conduct stay interviews that reveal essential information and decrease likelihood of attrition
- How to use stay interviews to shape your retention strategy
- What to do with the information gained during stay interviews
*Includes a stay interview guide
The power of visibility and presence. Healthcare leaders are no stranger to rounding, yet the drive-bys continue. This module focuses on:
- The merits of visibility in building credibility and a trusting culture
- Meaningful rounding techniques
- The power of observation
- Using rounds for recognition and on-the-spot coaching
*Includes a rounding tool for practice
Managing expectations. Most leaders first get clear on expectations AFTER their staff fails to meet them. This module addresses:
- Steps for getting clear about your expectation
- How to clearly communicate expectations for greater accountability
- Skills for course-correcting when someone is not meeting expectations
- How to better understand what your leader expect of you
Spotting levels of engagement. There’s an art and science to diagnosing engagement that goes far beyond a survey. This module focuses on:
- Understanding 4 distinct levels of engagement
- Identifying specific behaviors associated with each level of engagement
- Recognizing the impact someone’s engagement has on the team and the department’s success
*Includes a tool for classifying behaviors into levels of engagement
Coaching for engagement and improved performance. When it comes to coaching, one size fits one. This module focuses on:
- Building on the previous module
- Customizing an individual coaching plan for each employee based on their level of engagement
- Understanding the importance of coaching fully engaged staff to keep them engaged
- Recognizing different coaching techniques needed for individuals at each level
*Includes tools for planning and executing coaching discussion with specific actions and communication techniques for each level
Fostering a sense of purpose. Everyone wants to feel that their work matters. This module helps to:
- Explore why having a strong sense of purpose is important to engagement
- How to develop a stronger connection to purpose in yourself
- How to develop a stronger connection to purpose in your team members
- How to use the language of the mission, vision, and values in daily conversation that will tie people to purpose
*Includes a tool for tying jobs to the organization's priorities and success
How to get more of what you want. Once you start seeing positive changes, it’s vital to keep the traction. This module focuses on:
- Giving meaningful recognition
- Fostering peer accountability
- Communication techniques for keeping people informed and engaged
Since 1994, I’ve been at the forefront of shaping the patient experience movement and know that a great patient experience begins with strong leaders who can sustain a healthy culture.
While in the c-suite, we laid out clear goals and strategies every year but couldn’t achieve financial, quality, and growth goals when engagement was low and turnover was high. We found the root cause. People were leaving their managers not their jobs. We needed to develop leaders that nobody wanted to leave.
I discovered the secret to achieving every strategic objective started with growing strong leaders. We couldn’t be financially solvent if we were spending millions on turnover every year. We couldn’t achieve high reliability and a consistently positive patient experience if the team wasn’t solid. Staff wouldn’t be engaged if they didn’t trust their leaders.
As a consultant, I have been hired by countless organizations who have tried numerous best practices without results. The problem was that they were trying tactics that could never succeed without leadership to drive accountability, give recognition and engage their people.
Since witnessing the same problem over and over, I’ve been on a mission to help healthcare organizations achieve their best culture through transformational leadership.
"Highly recommended for any current or aspiring leader"
"I am convinced that this formula is essential for creating a positive patient experience, and successful business"
"I would definitely consider sending more members of my leadership team to this training."
Most people return from a conference energized and enthusiastic, but without a clear action plan or accountability.
We’ve built that in!
Participants are accountable for reviewing module content and applying the lessons prior to the weekly group coaching session.
You may be thinking:
We’re in the middle of a pandemic. Isn’t this a bad time?
Not at all. This is when your leaders need the tools and support to be the best for their staffs. Gaining new skills right now could be just the thing to keep both managers and staff engaged. (See Lisa Jensen’s experience above.)
Money is tight because of COVID
Healthcare was hit hard financially, but if you can prevent even one staff member from leaving, you hit your ROI in just one module. In fact, keeping one RN from leaving is a savings of $44,000. Enough to send over 29 leaders through the program.
We have so many competing priorities right now
Juggling priorities is a constant. But what is a greater priority than your people? Healthcare is a service industry. Without your people you don’t have healthcare. Without competent leaders you cannot achieve strategic goals.
Once enrolled, you will receive a confirmation email reviewing the program schedule including an introduction to your coach and additional login information.
Modules are paced to be completed one/week as a cohort in order to get the most out of group coaching sessions.